Friday 23 October 2015

Can't fly up when my wings are wet.



This "28" has just been feeding its baby up in the branches of a tree across the road by carefully putting food into its beak. Baby "28s" follow their mum around until they are able to feed themselves, making them quite vulnerable. The adult female "28" is incredibly patient and will gently reassure the crying chick by touching its beak while she is feeding on the ground in a sheltered spot.

Moments after this was recorded, the same two "28s" came into the garden and were splashing around in my birdbaths. One of them mis-negotiated the height of the fence and  I heard a loud "Dunk!"before the stunned  little bird dropped to the ground.  The "28"  took a walk around my backyard (in fact it walked towards me when I went "are you alright" so I know it was feeling terrible)  but managed to get up into one of the lower branches of a small tree with a lot of effort. It  eventually made its way on to the fence and flew off, still looking slightly dazed and concussed.