Tuesday 13 October 2015

Brad Jackson Onion Rings (update).


Two 20 kilogram bags of onions later...

Dheborah is also famous for her Brad Jackson Onion Rings...


Actually, the truth is, during a brief moment of insanity I decided to buy a couple of sacks of onions, some pickling bottles with "Balls" written on them, 20 litres of vinegar, and various pickling salts. I don't know if you have ever tried doing this, but to pickle onions, you have to first peel them. Peeling them is the operative word. Once you get through peeling  your first few kilograms, it may occur to you that there are a lot of onions in a 20 kg  sack. Soaking onions in water for 24 hours is another story altogether. My house had  a foul, seeping, sulphur smelling odour permeating the rooms for weeks afterwards. Rotorua was going to be like a  perfumed hanky after this. I couldn't breathe unless I held a towel in front of my face and  I went to bed suffocating in gases released by slices of something that one day I was going to have to consider eating on cheese sandwiches. When I was awake, I cried onion gas-filled tears. I really like onion rings but how much love can one put into 250 bottles? My Brad Jackson onion rings tried to kill me.