Saturday 5 November 2016

Halloween ...it seems like a thousand years ago.

 

photographs by dheborah


I made some tiny terracotta pumpkins and  placed them on some linen napkins; found some delicate twigs; placed an antique candlestick on a large stainless steel tray; filled some martini glasses with eyeballs (the kind that stick to your forehead), and added three healthy sized plastic tarantulas...this made a tiny, but inviting, display on my porch for the trick-or-treaters that were brave enough to come to my door for a little bag of eyeballs, spider webs and plastic flies on Halloween. The pumpkins took about 24 hours to dry. I used 'monte mate'  air hardening modelling clay, which I picked up from Red Dot for less than five dollars, for the little pumpkins. I happened to have a bag of stick-on polystyrene eyeballs. An hour after I placed the tray outside, I caught a crow picking up the tiniest pumpkin, trying to escape with it in its beak. He put it down but a tiny detail got broken. The crow later left me a dirty old piece of bone (3 ribs from someone's spare rib dinner) jammed in my outdoor bench. I took that as an apology.