Friday 11 August 2017

'Enough Water For Seventy horses'-a short story.



“Enough Water for Seventy Horses”


a short story
by Dheborah Quirke





 I could hear the sound of metal screaming. It was a tortured sound of cold groans…moaning metal stretching as fumigated grain was poured into the shunted carriages. Metal against metal. Aching. Pained. It was almost like a muffled heartbeat, interrupted by a sound like rolling thunder with piercing staccato screeches. The noise of the saw grinding against the metal of the car door was making me feel sick. My dad said his teeth hurt when chalk squeaked.



Tonight she was late. A call came through from the ambulance crew, warning us to expect a casualty from the nearby Namelkatchem Reserve. Hurry up Tiffany; hurry up; Joey was thinking. Her night staff nurse hadn’t arrived. Joey didn’t know where anything was and Tiffany had to do the stock order. A second phone call came through. Tiffany wasn’t coming. Her car was lying upside down in the reserve. Driving in the dark, as she came around the bend near the turn-off to Minnivale, she hadn’t seen the shaggy, damp red kangaroo standing in the middle of the road.

Joey spoke to the nurse on call, “They were going to be a while. Can you come in and help me? I don’t know how bad it’s going to be,” she said. “Just get here as quickly as possible. There has been a smash and my night nurse hasn’t arrived. I’ll explain when you get here.”


I was cold and nauseated. Trapped inside the car, I closed my eyes and imagined I was inside the box. I peeled off brightly coloured cartoon stickers and stuck them over the inside. A shiny blue streamer hung off the back edge where a little whistle had appeared on a piece of string. Attached to the luminous orange foam ring on the right side was a squeaky ball. Two silver cardboard stars shone like sparkling headlights at the front. I remembered the day it was filled to the top with polystyrene balls. They squeaked as I moved and they stuck to me with the static of my body as I tried to swim in them. It was the most colourful, amazing, joy-filled box.


On my third birthday, I found a big brown cardboard box in the room my parents got their medication in.

“It’s a magic box!” said the nurse. She was kind of fat but her eyes twinkled.

“Wow! A magic box?” I exclaimed with my eyes wide open in excitement.


Northam had no x-ray services for the weekend. There was only one nurse at Wyalkatchem. The chopper couldn’t come in due to fog. She was given morphine while she lay on the gravel.  It was raining. A slow, trickle of rain against her face hid her tears.

The sound cut into her while the teeth of the cutting jaw chewed the metal. The car creaked and yawned like beast is in agony. She lay trapped in sound. Then, when it was silent…a hollow, lone bird sound pierced the night. This used to be where the horse teams stopped to rest. The reserve has wagon wheel scars. There was enough water for seventy horses.Tiffany's mouth was parched.

She tried to swallow and said softly, “I’m really thirsty!”



The box changed shape. It changed colour. I found surprises. Stickers. Luminous orange dots. Glitter. Glue. Pendants. Silver shapes. Ball-things. Tiny books with mysterious pictures. Sometimes, it was invisible. 

The magic box made a tooting, party sound some days. My dad, with sea-weed injecting site tattoo-colours on his legs, watched me in the box. A tiny colouring-in book once appeared, with bright, crazy crayons. Slowly…my box transformed into something magical; wonderful; most fantastical.

Methadone had melted my mother’s teeth to a marshmallow brown but she was beautiful and fun.  She called me Sylus. When she fell over, she would laugh and say, “I’m just a bit smashed.”

The box made her happy too.

Jules, my father, and Susanne’s daily medication was crushed into a white, chunky powder every day at two o’clock. Taken with a glass of water, it stopped the nausea.

“It keeps us off heroin,” my  mother said. They had to pay for the heroin.

Jules had held a shaky, loaded hand gun to a terrified girl’s head and shouted, “Drive! Just fucking drive!”

He served his time in prison for hijacking and robbery. Mum said she cried every day ... and she refused to wash her hair.The first time, I don't think she washed her hair until he came home five years later.

Before he went back to jail, he gave me a tiny golden gun on a solid gold chain. I didn’t understand why. He said it was because of something he did with an axe at a petrol station when he had to pay for the heroin.

“But dad, you’re not a bad person!” I said, confused. “You are always nice to me and really friendly.” I kicked the box and I shouted, “I don’t want your stupid necklace!”

The manager of the hospital told the cleaner to throw away the box. My whole life collapsed into a desolate, dark, nothingness. When I walked into the dosing room, the nurse told me.

“The box is gone,” she said.

“It’s gone?” I said in disbelief, “But it’s a magic box. I love the box.”

When I got home, I cried. The magic box…was gone.

I reached to touch the chain around my neck. My finger ran over the chilled, worn surface of the tiny gun. The ambulance would arrive at the State Trauma unit in two and a half hours. As the stretcher was wheeled out of the accident and emergency unit, I caught a glimpse of an old lady who was sitting with her eyes closed in a powdery blue recliner chair. I could hear a kind of rusty moan. I think she was singing. She seemed to be picking at some crumbs from a bit of chocolate cake and had just a hint of a smile on her face. Her lips were moving at the same pace as the music. She could shut out the pain and go to that place. It was somewhere she could sing and dance: a place so beautiful. She had…somewhere wonderful, magical, and most fantastical. She had enough water for seventy horses.

My shaking jaw felt like a size seven earthquake. I closed my eyes and poured my soul into their revealing, salt sea-green rivers. If I was to survive the night inside my shocked, splintered limbs, I had to find my box …ever wonderful, magical… most fantastical.


By Dheborah Quirke.





(This is not really the true story but the people are and I apologise sincerely to Jules who is  in prison for an armed robbery. I wrote this in the hope that his kids turn out to be strong and kind and I will never, ever forget the magic box).