Friday 30 January 2015

Emergency Fire Tips*

Seven crows lined up on my fence and cried for a good fifteen minutes until I got up. Again, I thought  'Fire'. It was the wind. Waroona, on the way to Harvey, and another forrested area  near Collie, is struggling with fire due to the wind. Homes have already been lost. FDES is advising people to head for large open spaces (school grounds/sports fields), dams or swimming pools or remain in their homes if fire poses a danger. Long drives to work along forrested highways and recent fires in my own area have forced me to look at measures to take if caught and unable to leave, mainly due to closed roads. Residents are sometimes not allowed back in to residential areas and there is a chance that families could get seperated, while children or the elderly could be left on their own. 

'Life Gear' have glow sticks which can be purchased at places like Big W for the princely sum of $2.00. They come with a cord so they can be worn or carried. The "Glow Reds" have a small whistle, while a click of one button allows it to be used as a glow stick, a flashlight, as well as  a pulsing flasher. A simple but exceptionally smart item which can be kept in the house or in the car. Anyone could use this to get attention if injured, trapped or lost in the dark. Each child in the family could have one to grab in the event of an emergency or if there is any chance of seperation. *

If I can't leave the house, I have decided that a tiled bathroom (ceramic tiles should be  reasonably fire resistant), and a fire blanket to throw over myself,  would be the safest room to shelter if trapped by flame racing over. Many of the new houses have plastic baths. I do fill this when fire threatens, but I imagine it would melt at some point. Fire blankets can be purchased from major retailers now for around $20.00. I have decided that I can increase my chances of survival with one in the car to throw over myself if fire passes over the vehicle. It is handy to remember that the old telephones (not digital ones powered by battery) can be plugged in and used in homes in  the event of electricity being cut. I try and leave a large water container on my porch, plus an eye rinse bottle...Water can be run over small burns or a limb can be immersed in a small bucket until medical help can be obtained. Hose burns down gently if that's all you have got...the longer the better. Spray water bottles will offer great relief in the heat if the power is off or you are stranded somewhere.



* There are other glow sticks available (some phosphorous based; some foil wrapped - usually found in the camping department) but the Life Gear glow sticks come in red and green. They are clearly marked "200 hours". Big W in  Kwinana Hub have theirs in the hardware department at the moment.