Sunday 4 November 2012

If you ever considered becoming a blood donor...



Wildflower garment: five of us (students at W.A.S.A.D) did this as a group piece in 2003 for a one week outdoor exhibition at King's Park in Perth. The garment was constructed from tiny pieces removed from branches and Australian spring wild flowers. At the time, I thought it rather lovely and serene.


BECOMING A BLOOD DONOR

I have been donating blood since I was eighteen years old. The older nursing students came into the student nurses tea lounge and told us to go and have a look. As it was classed as our first visit, a simple blood test was done and a few weeks later our cards arrived with our blood groups on them. From then onwards, as we were now classed as "blood donors", it was simply a matter of  just going in to the next clinic (buses used to go to all the hospitals and clinics were set up). 

When I went flatting, the donor clinic was a 5 minute walk away. Every 12 weeks, a friend of mine and myself would walk over and give a pack of red cells. We never had any difficulty remembering in those days- it was usually when we were hungry. While the blood was filling up the bag on the side of the electronic chair, we would eat a plate of sandwiches, some cheese and crackers, some sweet biscuits and a cup of coffee or juice. As we were young, we had no problem accepting a second serving of anything that was offered. I only felt faint on one occasion. That was a few meters from the front door and my two 'Alternative' friends sat on the path with me until I had recovered. We just looked like a couple of punks hanging out on the pavement...except my blood pressure had nearly rendered me unconscious.

Before I went today, I had nearly ten glasses of fluids and six eggs for breakfast. I felt really good! Once at the blood donation centre, I completed a check-list and attended a brief consultation in an interview room. After a finger prick for my Hb (haemoglobin), a blood pressure reading and a final check that I hadn't been to Papua New Guinea, I was taken to the blood taking room. No more than about five people are bled at one time, each with their own nurse. With a soft foam ball in my hand to squeeze occasionally, the needle was taped and I could watch T.V quietly or listen to the patient next to me chat to one of the nurses while my blood filled the bag. This part only takes about 10-15 minutes. Once my nurse was happy that all was well and I hadn't passed out or felt unwell, I was allowed to go to the waiting area. Here, a tray with a warm cup of coffee was brought to me and I enjoyed a chocolate muffin (apparently, dark chocolate helps you keep your Haemoglobin up) and read today's newspaper. 

I can only say that it is usually a pleasant and peaceful experience. The blood products are used for post-operative blood transfusions, for burns and for emergency trauma. For the price of having  to sit and have a drink with a chocolate muffin, it is an easy commitment: a commitment that is exchanged for saving a couple of lives.