Friday 11 May 2012

Leather jackets



This is one of my favourite leather jackets....in winter it is indispensible. I prefer a very fine cow-hide that will tear easily on rose thorns, unfortunately. On different occasions, I have made up my own trade sketches and had the beautifully crafted coats made up individually by skilled tailors in Bali.


One of my jackets was stolen at an airport while one is due to have the surface redyed and damage repaired (I have added small leather threads to the collar on the one mentioned). The pictured jacket has an almost suit-like collar which bothers me but this coat converts from casual to formal with small clothing changes so has been a versatile travel piece.


The Victoria Markets in Melbourne sell jewellery, textile and clothing items and small goods. Here, in winter, you are quite likely to come home with $5 items or an emerging designer's coat. This is another place where you may come across leather jackets that are priced differently to retail outlets. The leather is much heavier but more durable. This market has a great winter personality and you will go back if you enjoy "the search".